Featured in: Go Eat Latkes in Your Pajamas
Yield: serves 8
Time: 1 hours 15 minutes
For the Chopped Liver
For the Pickled Onions
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup (3 1/2 oz.) sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Make the pickled onions: In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, mustard seeds, allspice, cloves, and bay leaf to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove the pan from the heat, let cool, and then pour over the onion in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Make the chopped liver: In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons schmaltz over medium-high. Add the chicken livers, season with salt, and cook, turning once, until caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the livers to a food processor and return the skillet to the heat. Pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons schmaltz, add the onion, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Scrape the onions and schmaltz into the food processor, along with the quatre-épice, eggs, and scallions, and pulse until the livers are finely chopped. Scrape the chopped liver into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and keep warm. Serve with crispy Latkes.