Milk Bar's Milk Crumbs
It's hard to resist snacking on these crumbly, milky bits—a signature component in the arsenal at Milk Bar. Just don't eat them all before your cake's done.
Yield: makes 1 1/2 cups
Time: 45 minutes
- 3⁄4 cup instant nonfat dry milk, such as Carnation
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 oz. white chocolate, melted
- Heat the oven to 250°. In a medium bowl, whisk 1⁄2 cup of the dry milk with the flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and stir with spatula until the mixture forms small clusters. Spread the clusters onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake until dried and sandy, 20 minutes. Transfer the clusters to a rack and let cool completely.
- Return the clusters to a bowl, break apart any that are larger than 1⁄2 inch in diameter, and then toss with the remaining 1⁄4 cup dry milk until evenly coated. Pour the white chocolate over the crumbs and toss with the spatula until evenly coated, tossing every 5 minutes until the chocolate is cooled completely and no longer sticky. Transfer the crumbs to a container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.