Pea Shoot and Mint Pesto
This nontraditional pesto is one of the best ways to use up an overload of pea shoots. Packed with mint and spread atop toast or beneath a burger, it will make anything you pair it with taste fresher and greener.
Featured in: NYC to CSA: A Pesto for Your Pea Shoots
- 3 cups pea shoots, woody stems removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped, or 4 garlic scapes, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Flaky sea salt
- In a food processor, combine the pea shoots with the mint, walnuts, lemon juice, and garlic and process until roughly chopped. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until emulsified and smooth.
- Scrape the pesto into a bowl and season with salt. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container, covered with a thin layer of olive oil.