Pickled Strawberry Jam and Frosting
Just two components of Christina Tosi's towering Stawberry-Lemon Layer Cake, we love this sweet pickled jam on everything from pork chops to sundaes.
Yield: makes 1 1/4 cups jam and 1 cup frosting
Time: 25 minutes
- 12 oz. strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. pectin
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. sherry wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. citric acid
- For the pickled strawberry jam: In a blender, puree the strawberries until smooth. In a small saucepan, whisk the sugar with pectin and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt. Scrape the strawberry purée into the saucepan along with both vinegars, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook the jam, stirring, until thickened and glossy, 10 minutes. Remove the jam from the heat and let cool completely. Spoon 5 tablespoons of the jam into a small bowl for the frosting, and refrigerate the remaining jam for up to 2 weeks.
- For the pickled strawberry frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter with the confectioners’ sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the reserved 5 tablespoons pickled strawberry jam with the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and the citric acid. On low speed, slowly pour in the jam and then beat until smooth and fluffy, 1 minute.