One of Uruguay’s most popular snacks, the chivito—a steak and cheese sandwich—was created in 1946 at a beachside restaurant in Punta del Este. The word chivito means little goat, and there are versions topped with the regional queso, ham, or fried eggs, but this recipe from Uruguayan chef Ignacio Mattos favors hard-boiled ones.
Featured in: "A Uruguayan Feast."
What You Will Need
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- One ¼-in.-thick strip steak
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 milk bun or kaiser roll, sliced in half
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 large slice fresh mozzarella
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- Sliced pickled hot peppers, to taste
- Torn romaine lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices