Charleston chef Kevin Johnson gives asparagus a quick turn in the oven, then serves the spears with a zesty tahini-yogurt sauce—an inspired take on ranch dressing.
Featured in: “All The Best Ways to Cook Asparagus.”
- ½ cups full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cups tahini
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped dill fronds
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. medium asparagus, fibrous bottoms snapped off
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450°F. In a blender, purée the yogurt, tahini, cilantro, parsley, mint, basil, dill, lemon juice, and buttermilk. Season with salt and black pepper to taste, then pour into a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the asparagus with the oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste, then toss to coat. Spread in a single layer and transfer to the oven. Bake until bright green and browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature with the reserved sauce on the side.