Cardamom, cloves, and star anise replicate the sweeter flavors of a rich Thai curry. For this recipe, swap milk out for equal parts coconut milk and water—the coconut brings all the spices together. For a richer cocoa, omit the water and use 1 cup of coconut milk.
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- In a mug, add the cocoa powder, chocolate, sugar, salt, cardamom, clove, and star anise.
- In a small pot, add the coconut milk and ½ cup water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove and transfer the milk to the mug; stir until the chocolate is melted and the spices are incorporated, about 1 minute. Remove the star anise and serve.