This garlicky chicken dish is a specialty of Chicago's Italian-American restaurants.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 cup olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 (3–4-lb.) whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a roasting pan set over two burners over medium-high heat. Add garlic and potatoes; cook, turning, until potatoes are golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer potatoes and garlic to a plate; set aside. Add chicken to pan; cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add wine; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Return potatoes and garlic to pan; season with parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Add stock; transfer pan to oven. Bake, sprinkling peas over chicken in the last 5 minutes of cooking, until cooked through, about 45 minutes.