Chinese-American Thanksgiving Turkey
A delicious Chinese take on a traditional American feast.
Yield: serves 10-12
- 1 (12-lb.) turkey, giblets coarsely chopped and reserved
- 3 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried black mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 lb. lean ground pork
- 3 Tbsp. Chinese light soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 lb. Chinese pork sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb. peeled water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups sticky rice, soaked overnight
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- To prepare turkey, rinse, pat dry, then place in a large roasting pan. Rub skin with 2 tbsp. sesame oil, then season with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To make the stuffing, place mushrooms in a small bowl. Cover with hot water and set aside until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms, then remove and discard stems. Coarsely chop caps and set aside. Meanwhile, combine pork, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. shaoxing, 1 tsp. salt, 1⁄2 tsp. pepper, and remaining 1 tsp. sesame oil in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat a large deep skillet over high heat. Add peanut oil, then add scallions and ginger and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add ground pork mixture and giblets and cook, stirring, until meat begins to brown, 3 minutes, then add sausage, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and rice. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes more. Add 3 cups stock, remaining 2 tbsp. soy sauce, and 3 tbsp. shaoxing. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover and set aside to cool.
- Using your fingers, loosen turkey's skin. Stuff a thin layer of rice mixture between skin and breast, then fill cavity (any extra stuffing can be steamed in a baking dish for 40 minutes). Truss turkey with kitchen string and place in a large baking pan. Put baking pan on a rack in a larger roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with about 1'' boiling water and cover with a tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil. Place on top of stove over two burners, then steam over medium heat (adding water if necessary) until juices from turkey run clear, about 3 1⁄2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Discard steaming water. Transfer turkey to rack in roasting pan. Pour juices from baking pan into a small saucepan. Add remaining 3 cups stock and set aside. Roast turkey for 25 minutes, then increase heat to 450° and roast until golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, to make sauce, mix cornstarch with 3⁄4 cup water. Bring stock mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim, stir in cornstarch, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with turkey and stuffing.