Fresh cabbage salads are lovely, but chopped peanuts and mellow scallions put a little extra crunch in this salad.
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. nam pla (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup light sesame oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small Chinese cabbage, trimmed and julienned
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, nam pla, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly drizzle in sesame oil, whisking constantly to make a smooth vinaigrette. Add the shallots and set aside for at least 1⁄2 hour. Adjust seasoning before using.
- Quickly sauté scallions in a little sesame oil. Place cabbage in a large serving bowl and add vinaigrette. Toss well.
- Sprinkle the sautéed scallions and peanuts over top of salad before serving.