This sweet, festive salad gives off a lot of juice if it sits for a while, so it's best to assemble it just before serving.
- 2 large beets, peeled and trimmed
- 1 large jicama, peeled and cut into 1⁄2" × 2" pieces
- 2 oranges, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1⁄2"-thick slices
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 guavas, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1⁄2 cup shelled roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pecans
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Put beets into a medium pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until soft when pierced with tip of a knife, about 30 minutes. Drain, reserving I cup of the cooking liquid, and set aside beets and liquid to cool. Cut beets into 1⁄2" × 2" pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
Put jicama, oranges, raisins, guavas, prunes, peanuts, pecans, and sugar into bowl with beets. Add reserved cooking liquid and toss to mix well.