This vibrantly orange dressing—from our friend Chef Tadashi Ono—was made famous by Japanese-American steak houses. It gets its incomparably clean flavor from pureed carrot and fresh ginger. Serve it simply tossed with crisp iceberg lettuce.
What You Will Need
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. finely grated ginger
- 2 medium carrots (about 8 oz.), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion (about 6 oz.), roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head (about 1 lb.) iceberg lettuce, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces, for serving
Combine oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, carrots, and onion in a food processor, and process until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Combine dressing and lettuce in a bowl, and toss until evenly coated; serve immediately. Unused dressing will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.