This soup is, in effect, a fava vichyssoise—though it may also be served hot. The recipe is based on one that appears in Catalan Cuisine (Harvard Common Press, 1999), by former SAVEUR editor-in-chief Colman Andrews.
- 1 lb. shelled fresh young favas (about 3 1⁄2 cups) from about 4 1⁄2 lbs.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups Chicken Stock, hot
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper