Cold Cream of Fava Soup
The recipe for this "fava vichyssoise" is based on one from Colman Andrews's Catalan Cuisine.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1 lb. shelled fresh young favas (about 3 1⁄2 cups) from about 4 1⁄2 lbs.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups Chicken Stock, hot
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Put favas and 4 cups cold water into a pot, bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until tender, 15–20 minutes. Drain favas and set aside.
- Melt butter in 1 tbsp. of the oil in a heavy medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add potatoes, cooked favas, and remaining 3 tbsp. oil and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Gradually add hot stock to pot, gently stirring as you do. Cook until potatoes are about to disintegrate, 45–50 minutes. Purée vegetables and stock together in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer soup to a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold. Whisk in cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve soup garnished with a drizzle of heavy cream, if you like.