Creamed Tuna on Toast (Apcray on Apcray)
To feed a larger crowd, you can expand the version of this recipe with more white sauce or vegetables. You can also substituted boiled chicken for the tuna.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 (6-oz.) can water-packed tuna, drained
- 2 Tbsp. drained, chopped pimientos
- 1⁄4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 8 pieces sandwich bread, preferably whole wheat, toasted
- Heat butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add milk to pot, whisk in flour, and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 6–8 minutes. Return onion mixture to the pot along with the peas, tuna, pimientos, poultry seasoning, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and heated through, 8–10 minutes. Ladle creamed tuna over toast and serve immediately.