Garlic’s young shoots perfume this mild pesto, perfect for tossing with fresh egg pasta. If you can’t find scapes, substitute green garlic or a combination of garlic and chives. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Laura Schenone’s story Glorious Pesto.
- 1 cup finely chopped garlic scapes (or 2/3 cup finely chopped chives, plus 1/3 cup finely chopped garlic)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1⁄3 cup roasted, salted cashews
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pulse garlic scapes, oil, parmesan, and cashews in a food processor until finely chopped; season with salt and pepper.