(Salsiccia Nostrana alla Griglia con Fagioli all'Uccelletto)
This recipe comes from Ristorante La Botte in Stresa.
- 1 lb. dried cannellini beans
- 2 oz. pancetta, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Leaves of 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 links (about 2 lbs.) fresh pork sausage without fennel
Put beans and 8 cups cold water into a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn off heat and let beans soak for 20–30 minutes.
Add pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and bay leaf to pot of beans and soaking water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are tender, 2–2 1⁄2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
Preheat a charcoal grill. Grill sausages over medium-hot coals until lightly browned, 8-12 minutes. Using a sharp knife, split sausages lengthwise so that they open like a book, then grill for a few minutes more on each side.
Divide beans and some of the cooking liquid between 4 plates and put 2 sausages on top of each.