Grilled Sausage with White Beans
This recipe comes from Ristorante La Botte in Stresa.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 lb. dried cannellini beans
- 2 oz. pancetta, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Leaves of 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 links (about 2 lbs.) fresh pork sausage without fennel
- Put beans and 8 cups cold water into a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn off heat and let beans soak for 20–30 minutes.
- Add pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and bay leaf to pot of beans and soaking water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are tender, 2–2 1⁄2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
- Preheat a charcoal grill. Grill sausages over medium-hot coals until lightly browned, 8-12 minutes. Using a sharp knife, split sausages lengthwise so that they open like a book, then grill for a few minutes more on each side.
- Divide beans and some of the cooking liquid between 4 plates and put 2 sausages on top of each.