Hungarian Sour Cherry Cake
Dotted with tart sour cherries, this cake makes a wonderful summer dessert with sweet whipped cream; though it's more often served with coffee for breakfast.
Yield: serves 12
- 2 lb. pitted fresh sour cherries or frozen and thawed sour cherries
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus more for pan
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp. kirsch or brandy
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 400°. Toss cherries with 1⁄4 cup flour in a bowl; set aside.
- Grease a 13" x 18" x 1" baking sheet with butter and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, kirsch, and vanilla with a hand mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add egg; beat until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running on low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk in 3 batches to make a batter. Spoon batter onto reserved baking sheet and smooth evenly. Sprinkle cherries over the top. Bake until cake is golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Let cake cool 30 minutes, then cut into 12 squares.