Eat lots of lobster; you'll need their shells for this stock.
Yield: makes About 4 Quarts
- 3 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 3 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, white parts only, chopped
- Broken shells from 7 lbs. raw, boiled, or steamed lobsters (about 5 lbs. shells)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Melt butter or vegetable oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and leeks. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add lobster shells. Cook, crushing shells with a heavy wooden spoon, for 5 minutes, then add wine and 18 cups water. Bring stock to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, skimming occasionally, until reduced by one-quarter, about 1 hour.
- Strain through cheesecloth. Stock can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 6 months.