From Chef Jonathan Waxman, owner of Barbuto and West County Grill, this recipe for a savory pork rib and cabbage stew evokes the flavors of a northern Italian farmhouse.
- 1 Tbsp. whole black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. anise
- 1 Tbsp. star anise
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 full pork ribs (8 bones each)
- 2 heads savoy cabbage
- 2 sweet onions
- 4 large carrots
- 2 qt. chicken stock
- Grind all dry spices in a spice mill. Pat pork dry and rub with spice mixture. Marinate ribs for 3 days.
- Wash off marinade and brush ribs with olive oil; grill for 20 minutes per side. Let cool.
- Cut cabbage, onions, and carrots into large chunks. Place all vegetables and pork into a large casserole and cover with chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until meat is tender.
- Taste for seasoning and serve hot.