Michael Roberts's Corn 'Risotto'
This adaptation from Betty Fussell's Crazy for Corn lends an Italian twist to a quintessentially American food.
Yield: serves 4
- Kernels cut from 3-4 ears fresh corn, about 3 cups
- 2 tbsp. minced scallions or shallots
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shelled fresh peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°. Saute corn, scallions or shallots, and 4 tbsp. of the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add ½ cup of the stock, turn up heat to medium-high, and reduce liquid quickly until mixture thickens. Add cream and stir occasionally, reducing liquid again until thick, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Pulse mixture once or twice in a food processor to release flavors. The kernels should be broken, but not pureed smooth. Put mixture in an ovenproof serving bowl, cover, and keep warm in oven.
- Saute mushrooms with remaining 4 tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over high heat. Add peas and remaining ½ cup stock, and reduce the liquid for 3-5 minutes until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold mushroom mixture into corn and serve immediately.