The flavors of a richly spiced Moroccan tagine come together in this couscous salad, savory and bright with olive, lemon, and cinnamon. Serve as a side dish, or toss with leftover shredded chicken for a filling main course.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups Israeli-style couscous, cooked and cooled
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green picholine olives, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup preserved lemon, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Soak the onion in lemon juice for 5 minutes to quick-pickle the onions. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss together, season with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.