Inspired by the small bites known as cicheti that food writer Dana Bowen ate in Venice, these crisp mini-sandwiches are deep-fried and filled with molten cheese. Although you could use panko or Italian bread crumbs like you would for fried mozzarella sticks, homemade is preferrable. For more melty cheeses, check out our favorite grilled cheese sandwich recipes.
Featured in: "Good and Plenty."
What You Will Need
- 6 oz. sliced mozzarella
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs, preferably homemade
- Vegetable oil, for frying