Jumbo peel-and-eat shrimp are bathed in a tangy, spicy butter in this classic dish. This recipe first appeared in our April 2013 special feature on New Orleans.
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus 12 tbsp. cut into 1/2″ cubes and chilled
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Crystal hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lb. head-on large shrimp, unpeeled
- Kosher salt, to taste
- French bread, for serving
- Heat 3 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook until soft, 1-2 minutes. Add hot sauce, Worcestershire, juice, Creole seasoning, and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cook until sauce is reduced by half, 5-7 minutes. Add shrimp; cook, flipping once, until cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in chilled butter to make a smooth sauce. Season with salt. Serve with French bread.