Pavola's are a popular dessert in New Zealand.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 tsp. butter, softened
- 3 egg whites
- 7 tbsp. sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. cornstarch
- 3⁄4 tsp. white vinegar
- 3⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped unsalted shelled walnuts
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Leaves from 4 sprigs mint
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 12" x 8 1⁄2" jelly roll pan with buttered parchment paper. Beat egg whites in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 1–2 minutes. Gradually add 6 tbsp. of the sugar, beating constantly, until stiff peaks form, 1–2 minutes more. Fold cornstarch, vinegar, and vanilla into whites, spread in prepared pan, and sprinkle with coconut and walnuts. Bake until meringue springs back when lightly pressed, 12–15 minutes. Remove from oven; allow to cool in pan.
- Purée 1 cup of the strawberries and the remaining 1 tbsp. sugar together in a blender. Whisk heavy cream in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Invert meringue onto a clean work surface and peel off parchment. Spread whipped cream over meringue and scatter 2 cups of the strawberries on top. Roll long side of meringue onto itself. Transfer to a platter. Garnish with strawberry purée, the remaining strawberries, and mint.