The Portuguese sausage linguiça is a staple ingredient in Hawaiian cuisine.
The Portuguese sausage linguiça is a staple ingredient in Hawaiian cuisine and a spicy addition to these clams.
Yield: serves 4
For the Garlic Butter and Toasts
- 10 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. minced fresh chives
- 1 tsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tsp. minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices (1″-thick) french bread
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmigiano-reggiano
For the Clams
- 1⁄2 lb. hot linguiça or other firm, spicy garlic sausage, cut on the bias into 1⁄2″-thick slices
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1⁄4″-thick strips
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1⁄4″-thick strips
- 1⁄2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup bottled clam juice
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 lb. fresh manila clams (about 50)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- For the garlic butter and toasts: Preheat oven to 375°. Combine butter, garlic, chives, parsley, shallots, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl and stir well. Set aside 6 tbsp. of the garlic butter for the clams. Spread remaining garlic butter on bread slices and place on a baking sheet. Toast until golden, 10–12 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle toasts with cheese. Set aside.
- For the clams: Cook sausages in a single layer on a hot grill pan over medium heat, turning once, until lightly marked and hot, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add bell peppers, onions, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook until soft, 5–7 minutes. Stir in reserved garlic butter, sausages, clam juice, wine, lemon juice, and thyme. Simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, 6–7 minutes. Add clams and cook, covered, shaking pot occasionally, until clams open, 10–12 minutes (discard any clams that haven’t opened).
- Divide clams with their broth between 4 bowls and garnish with scallions and cilantro. Serve with toasts.