Rice and Peas
Using the freshest peas of spring makes this dish simply scrumptious.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 lb. fresh peas, shelled to yield 3 cups
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add peas and salt, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and parsley, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is al dente and peas are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve immediately before rice absorbs liquid. Top with grated parmigiano-reggiano, if you like.