A recipe in The Herbfarm Cookbook (Scribner, 2000) for lavender shortbread inspired this version of the classic cookie.
Yield: makes 40 2" Pieces
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 lb. cold butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine 4 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1⁄4 cup minced fresh rosemary leaves in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, work 1 lb. of cold butter, cut into small pieces, into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal, then transfer to a large baking pan.
- Spread dough evenly in pan using your hand, then gently press down to firm the dough and smooth its surface. Mark around the edges and lightly in the center with the tines of a fork. Bake until pale golden, 20–30 minutes, rotating pan 180 degrees halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from oven and use a sharp knife to score warm shortbread into diamonds or squares. Set aside to let cool, then dust with confectioners' sugar.