This Bengali dish is adapted from At Home With Madhur Jaffrey (Knopf, 2010). Serve with cooked white rice. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140, along with Madhur Jaffrey’s story Making it Work.
- 4 (3 oz.) skinless salmon filets
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. mustard powder
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 serrano chiles, split
- Rub fish evenly with half of the salt, turmeric, and cayenne; set aside. In a bowl, stir remaining salt, turmeric, and cayenne with mustard powder and 1⁄2 cup water; set paste aside.
- Heat oil in 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; add mustard seeds; cook for 1-2 minutes. Add cumin and fennel, cook for 30 seconds; add paste and chiles. Add fish, and cook, basting, until done, 10-12 minutes.