Sweet, fennel seed—flecked sausage marries beautifully with bell peppers when cooked with garlic, chile flakes, and oregano. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with the special feature Italian America.
- 1 1⁄2 lb. sweet Italian sausages
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Bring sausages, 3 tbsp. oil, and 1⁄3 cup water to a boil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; cover, and simmer until sausages are half-cooked, about 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, turning, until sausages are browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 4 pieces each; set aside. Return skillet to heat along with remaining oil. Add onions and bell peppers; cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add chile flakes and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Return sausages to skillet along with stock, oregano, and salt and pepper; boil. Cover and cook until sausages are cooked through, about 10 minutes; uncover and cook until sauce is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.