Sausage and Peppers
Sweet, fennel seed—flecked sausage marries beautifully with bell peppers when cooked with garlic, chile flakes, and oregano.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 1⁄2 lb. sweet Italian sausages
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Bring sausages, 3 tbsp. oil, and 1⁄3 cup water to a boil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; cover, and simmer until sausages are half-cooked, about 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, turning, until sausages are browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 4 pieces each; set aside. Return skillet to heat along with remaining oil. Add onions and bell peppers; cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add chile flakes and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Return sausages to skillet along with stock, oregano, and salt and pepper; boil. Cover and cook until sausages are cooked through, about 10 minutes; uncover and cook until sauce is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.