Ripe and juicy tomato slices topped with herbs, butter, and toasty breadcrumbs make a wonderful summer side.
- 4 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
Preheat oven to 375°. Combine bread crumbs, butter (or oil), chives, parsley, thyme leaves, and salt and pepper to taste.
Press half the bread crumb mixture into a large baking dish to form a "crust." Bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
Remove dish from oven, arrange a layer of tomatoes over bread crumbs, and sprinkle with more bread crumbs. Repeat process until tomatoes are used up, ending with a layer of bread crumbs. Bake until crumbs are golden and tomatoes are warm, about 10 minutes.