Home cook Eatty Du uses fresh basil to garnish this classic Shanghainese stir-fry. This recipe first appeared along with Andrea Sun's story Nothing Better Than a Home-Cooked Meal.
- 8 oz. flank steak, trimmed and sliced very thinly across the grain
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 8 oz. plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, for garnish
In a bowl, combine beef, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, cornstarch, and wine. Mix well and let sit for about 20 minutes.
Heat a 14″ flat-bottomed wok or high-sided skillet over high heat. Add oil and tomatoes and cook until tomatoes begin to break down and release their juice, about 3 minutes. Add marinated beef and sugar, and cook, tossing often, until meat is just cooked through but still tender, about 2 minutes. Serve with rice and garnish with basil leaves.