Sizzling Shrimp with Garlic and Parsley (Gambas al Ajillo)
This recipe involves simmering shrimp in garlic- and chile-laced olive oil in cazuelas (earthenware dishes) atop flaming burners.
Yield: serves 4
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>3</sub> packed cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 dried chiles, such as guindilla or chiles de árbol
- Pile together parsley leaves and garlic; sprinkle with salt; coarsely chop.
- Divide olive oil between four 6" cazuelas; heat them over medium heat. Divide garlic mixture, bay leaves, and dried chiles, between the cazuelas and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is fragrant and sizzling, 2–3 minutes.
- Divide shrimp between the cazuelas and stir until shrimp is just cooked, 2–3 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve with chunks of bread to dip into the luscious, garlicky oil.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.