Sizzling Shrimp with Garlic and Parsley (Gambas al Ajillo)
This classic dish from Madrid simmers shrimp in a garlic-and chile-laced olive oil.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄3 packed cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 dried chiles, such as guindilla or chiles de árbol
- Pile together parsley leaves and garlic; sprinkle with salt; coarsely chop.
- Divide olive oil between four 6" cazuelas; heat them over medium heat. Divide garlic mixture, bay leaves, and dried chiles, between the cazuelas and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is fragrant and sizzling, 2–3 minutes.
- Divide shrimp between the cazuelas and stir until shrimp is just cooked, 2–3 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve with chunks of bread to dip into the luscious, garlicky oil.