Blanketed in multicolored sprinkles, these gorgeous cookies are a staple of Italian bakeries and especially festive-looking for the holidays.
Yield: makes About 3 Dozen
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus more
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1⁄2 cup multi-colored homemade or store-bought sprinkles
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed of a mixer until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, egg, and lemon zest, and beat until smooth; add dry ingredients, and beat until just combined. Using 2 tablespoons, portion and shape dough into 1" balls; place balls 2" apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Lightly flour the bottom of a ¼ measuring cup, and press each ball into a flat disk; chill disks for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°. Place sprinkles in a bowl; set aside. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush tops of cookie disks with egg white and then press into sprinkles to adhere completely. Return cookies to baking sheets, and bake, rotating baking sheets top to bottom and front to back halfway through cooking, until set and lightly browned on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Let cool before serving.