The key to this grilled corned beef, Swiss, and sauerkraut sandwich is making the rich, tangy dressing from scratch.This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with author Daniel Pinkwater's article Say My Name.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. American chili sauce
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. finely grated yellow onion
- 1⁄2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 tsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 cups drained sauerkraut
- 1 lb. thinly sliced corned beef
Whisk together mayonnaise, chili sauce, parsley, onion, horseradish, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Set Russian dressing aside.
Working on a cutting board, spread 1 tsp. butter on each slice of bread; turn over and top with Russian dressing. To 4 of the slices add 2 slices of cheese, ½ cup sauerkraut, and 4 oz. corned beef each. Top each with remaining bread slices.
Heat a 12″ skillet over medium heat, and working in batches, add sandwiches. Cook, pressing constantly and turning once, until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.