Timbale of Osetra Caviar, Crabmeat, and Avocado
One of the prettiest dishes we've ever seen, these savory treats are also one of the tastiest.
Yield: makes 4
- 1⁄4 cup jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1⁄4 tsp. minced peeled shallot
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 ripe hass avocado, halved lengthwise and pitted
- 1 1⁄2 oz. osetra caviar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Gently mix together crabmeat, shallot, ¼ tsp. of the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl; set aside.
- Scoop out pulp from avocado halves into a small bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For each serving, spoon 1 tbsp. of the avocado into a 1½"-round cookie cutter set on a chilled salad plate, add 1 tsp. of the crabmeat, and cover with 1 tbsp. of the avocado, smoothing surface with the back of a small spoon. Spread 1 tsp. of the caviar evenly over avocado. Carefully lift off cookie cutter to unmold timbale. Repeat process with remaining avocado, crabmeat, and caviar to make three timbales on each of four plates. Garnish timbales with a sliver of lime and edible flower petals, if you like.