Simple ingredients and the freshest fish make this chowder a winner.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄4 lb. salt pork or bacon, cut in small cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups poached trout (2 10-oz. trout), in chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- In a heavy medium-sized pot, brown salt pork or bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tbsp. of fat from pot.
- In the same pot, cook onions over medium heat, stirring often until tender and translucent (about 20 minutes).
- Peel and cut potatoes into ½" cubes. Add potatoes and milk to pot and cook over medium heat for about 10–15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add trout to the pot and continue cooking for 1 minute. Stir carefully so trout doesn't break up. Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve chowder in bowls garnished with a little butter and the reserved cubes of salt pork or bacon.