What You Will Need
Turkey with Sauerkraut, Riesling, and Pork Sausages
Braised with wine, sauerkraut, apples, and onions, this turkey comes out incredibly moist and aromatic.
Yield: serves 10-12
- 12 juniper berries
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup rendered duck fat
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups riesling
- 1 lb. smoked slab bacon, cut into 3 ⁄4" strips
- 4 lb. raw sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 1 (10–12-lb.) turkey
- 12-14 strips thin-sliced bacon
- 6 knackwurst
- 6 bauernwurst
- 16 small new potatoes, peeled
- Dijon mustard, for serving
- Heat oven to 350°. Wrap juniper berries, garlic, parsley, thyme, cloves, and bay leaves in a piece of cheese- cloth; tie ends with twine; set aside. Heat duck fat in an 8-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 18–20 minutes. Add wine and 1⁄2 cup water; boil for 2 minutes; transfer to a large roasting pan with spice bundle.
- Arrange sliced slab bacon evenly over onions. Combine sauerkraut and apples in a bowl; transfer 3⁄4 of sauerkraut mixture over onion mixture. Season turkey with salt and pepper and stuff with remaining sauerkraut mixture. Drape thin-sliced bacon over top of turkey; secure with tooth-picks. Put turkey on top of sauerkraut in roasting pan. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and 2 sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Crimp foil tightly around edges of pan. Roast turkey until an instant-read thermometer inserted into deepest part of thigh reads 160°, about 3 hours. Transfer turkey to a cutting board; let rest for 20 minutes. Remove bacon and skin.
- While turkey rests, bring a 5-qt. pot of salted water to a boil. Add sausages, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausages to a large serving platter. Add potatoes to pot and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer potatoes to platter. Carve turkey and arrange slices on platter. Serve with mustard.