Wood-Fire-Roasted Piquillo Pepper with Olive Oil and Garlic
(Pimientos del Piquillo) For this dish, Riojans typically use jarred piquillo peppers already roasted over a wood fire and peeled. At Bodegas Artadi, Juan Carlos Lopez de Lacalle’s mother, Esperanza Sanpedro, roasted and peeled the peppers herself.
- 1 (8-oz.) jar “wood-fired” piquillo peppers
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thickly sliced
- Drain the peppers, then tear peppers in half.
- Heat oil and garlic in a skillet over medium heat until garlic is soft and oil is very warm, 3-4 minutes. Add peppers and heat until warmed through, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a cazuela or other cermaix dish and allow to cool to room temperature. Serve with pieces of baguette.