Zhangguying-Style Braised Fried Tofu
Deep-fried tofu puffs come in many shapes and sizes. In this dish, the puffs are sliced open to ru wei, "let the flavors enter".
Yield: serves 4
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 2" piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 lb. deep-fried tofu puffs, cut into slices about 1" wide and 1⁄2" thick
- 1 long fresh red chile, such as holland, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 7 Chinese chives or scallions, green parts only, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp. cold water
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add soy sauce and tofu, reduce heat to medium, and simmer to allow flavors to develop and liquid to thicken slightly, 6-8 minutes. Add chiles and chives, toss to combine, and cook for 30 seconds. Add cornstarch mixture and toss gently until sauce has thickened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large shallow bowl.