Zurich Cordon Bleu
This recipe, which comes from Rheinfelder Bierhalle in Zurich, Switzerland, first appeared in our April 2013 issue along with Adam H. Graham’s story, _Blue Ribbon Winner: Cordon Bleu in Zurich_. To prepare the cutlets, place them in plastic wrap and pound gently with a meat mallet.
- 2 (4-oz.) boneless pork cutlets, pounded as thin as possible (at least ⅛”)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz. deli ham, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. Emmentaler cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Season cutlets with salt and pepper. Place ham and cheese on one cutlet, leaving a ½” border along edge; place other cutlet on top; set aside. Place flour, egg, and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Dredge stuffed cutlet in flour, and coat in egg, then bread crumbs. Heat oil and butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Fry, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp, about 16 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.