Curry powder and cilantro add zest to classic white wine-steamed mussels in this recipe adapted from The River Cottage Fish Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Nick Fisher (Ten Speed Press, 2011). This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article New Fish Cookbooks.
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ½ cups white wine
- 2 lb. mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 4 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder, and then add wine and ½ cup water; bring to a boil. Add mussels, cover with lid, and cook until mussels are opened, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mussels to a bowl. Return skillet to heat and add cream, ⅔ of the cilantro, and any juices collected in the bowl of mussels. Season with salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Divide mussels among serving bowls. Ladle sauce over mussels; garnish with remaining cilantro.