Simit Kebap (Ground Lamb, Bulgur, and Pistachio Kebabs)
A thick pistachio puree is folded into a mix of ground lamb and bulgur in these garlicky kebabs.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red Holland chile, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup fine bulgur, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 9 metal skewers
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sumac
- Yogurt and hot sauce, for serving
- Purée pistachios and ¼ cup water in a food processor until very smooth. Add parsley, mint, chile flakes, allspice, garlic, scallions, onions, and chiles; pulse until almost smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Add lamb, bulgur, salt, and pepper; using hands, mix until combined. Form about ⅓ cup mixture around the end of each skewer (See our guide on how to build kebab skewers); refrigerate until meat is firm, about 1 hour.
- Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to high; bank coals or turn off burner on one side (see Grilling 101). Grill kebabs on hottest part of grill, turning as needed, until slightly charred and cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Transfer kebabs to a platter; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sumac. Serve with yogurt and hot sauce.