Fava Bean, Herb, and Pomegranate Fattoush
Fava beans add protein to this take on the Levantine bread salad from Australia-based chef Matt Wilkinson. This recipe first appeared with the 2015 SAVEUR 100 item Salad All Day.
- 1 (8″) pita bread
- Olive oil for brushing, plus ¼ cup
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh or frozen fava beans
- 1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 tsp. sumac
- Flake sea salt, such as Maldon, to taste
- Plain full-fat Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°. Place bread on a baking sheet and brush lightly with water; bake until slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Brush with oil and sprinkle with cumin; let cool and tear into 1″ pieces.
- Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of water to a boil. Cook beans for 2 minutes; drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water until cold. Drain and pop beans from skins; roughly chop beans and transfer to a bowl. Stir in remaining ¼ cup oil, the mint, parsley, pomegranate seeds, radishes, onion, and lemon juice. Add reserved bread, the sumac, and salt; toss to combine. Serve with yogurt on the side, if you like.