Finely chopped fresh parsley and mint are bathed in fruity extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice in this classic Middle Eastern appetizer, adapted from Moorish by Greg and Lucy Malouf (Hardie Grant Books, 2014). Bulgur wheat, a common ingredient in tabbouleh, is omitted here for a dish that focuses on the flavor of the fresh herbs. This recipe first appeared in our October 2014 issue with the story Home for the Harvest.
- 3 cups packed parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, minced
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Stir ingredients in a bowl; let sit 10 minutes before serving.