A mix of crushed malt biscuits, sweetened condensed milk, and butter, these New Zealand treats from test kitchen director Farideh Sadeghin have a soft texture akin to cookie dough. Traditionally, Eskimo Lollies (a multicolored, marshmallow-like candy) are used, but colorful marshmallows make a great substitute.
MAKES 64 BARS
- 9 oz. malt biscuits, crushed
- 7 oz. colored marshmallows, cut into ¼” pieces
- 9 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (12 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
Combine malt biscuits, marshmallows, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Press into an 8″ x 8″ baking dish lined with plastic wrap; chill overnight. Cut into ½” long strips, and then into 2″ rectangles; roll in shredded coconut, if you like.