Ostkaka med Färska Jordgubbar och Mynta (Almond Cheesecake with Macerated Strawberries and Mint)
Ground almonds add body and flavor to this creamy Swedish cheesecake. For the Midsummer holiday in late June, Asa Johanson, a gardener and chef on the island of Oland off of Sweden’s southeast coast, serves the cake with clouds of whipped cream and ripe strawberries macerated with fresh mint. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2014 issue with Per Styregård’s story “A Midsummer’s Dream.”
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 cups quartered strawberries
- ½ cup minced mint
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- ¾ cup blanched almonds
- 2¼ cups cottage cheese, drained overnight
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 eggs
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for serving
1. Stir 1/3 cup sugar, the strawberries, and mint in a bowl; let sit 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 3-qt. oval baking dish; set aside. Pulse remaining sugar and the almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add cottage cheese, cream, milk, flour, and eggs; purée until smooth and pour into prepared dish. Bake until browned and slightly puffed, 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool slightly and dust with confectioners’ sugar; serve with the strawberries and whipped cream.