Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
Red cabbage is braised in duck fat and enlivened with red wine vinegar and caraway seeds, making it a perfectly balanced holiday side. This recipe, developed by chef Mary Sue Milliken, first appeared in our November 2013 issue with the article State of Grace.
- 1⁄2 cup duck fat or bacon drippings
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large head red cabbage (about 2 lb.), cored and finely shredded
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt fat in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, caraway, and bay leaf; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 12 minutes. Stir in cabbage, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 1 hour. Serve hot or at room temperature.