Tacos for breakfast? Heck yea.
Yield: makes 12 tacos
Time: 45 minutes
- 1⁄2 lb. vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice, plus wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp. minced cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp. minced red onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 oz. cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, toss tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, oil, red onion, salt, and pepper and set salsa aside.
- In a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set potatoes aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium, cook bacon, turning once, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Cool slightly, then break into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Return skillet to heat.
- Add potatoes, cumin, and cayenne to skillet and cook potatoes over medium-high, turning occasionally, until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Keep potatoes warm.
- Wipe skillet clean. Melt butter over medium, then add eggs, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are just set, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To assemble tacos, divide eggs between tortillas. Top each taco with potatoes, bacon, salsa, cotija, avocados, and cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges.