Imparting a festive green glow to the de rigueur citrus and Champagne brunch cocktail, absinthe lends a noticeably herbal bite and serves as a natural aperitif, whetting the palate for a day of holiday eating.
Featured in: Go Eat Latkes in Your Pajamas
For the Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
For the Cocktail
- 1⁄2 cup absinthe
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Champagne, to top
- 8 lemon twists, to garnish
- Make the Ginger Syrup: In a small saucepan, sugar, ginger, and 1⁄4 cup water to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the syrup reduces to 1⁄4 cup, about 6 minutes. Remove the syrup from the heat, pour through a fine sieve into a small pitcher, and discard the ginger.
- For the Cocktail: Pour absinthe, orange juice, and lime juice into the pitcher with ginger syrup, stir to combine, and refrigerate until chilled. Pour 3 tablespoons each of the juice mix into 8 chilled coupes or flutes and top with champagne. Garnish each glass with a lemon twist before serving.