Soy sauce and fish sauce provide the umami punch in this fiery condiment, which can be sipped alongside rich dishes or drizzled on top.
What You Will Need
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. fish sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 chopped Hawaiian or Thai chiles
- 10 oz. water
- 1 tsp. Hawaiian or coarse sea salt
- Place 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, ½ teaspoon fish sauce, 1 bay leaf, 2 crushed garlic cloves, and 4 chopped Hawaiian or Thai chiles—or more to taste—in a sterilized bottle or jar.
- In a small pot, bring 10 ounces water and 1 teaspoon Hawaiian or coarse sea salt to a quick boil. Pour the boiling water over the rest of the ingredients, and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before consuming. Keeps indefinitely.